Monday, March 14, 2011

annotated bibliography

Clynton Smith
Professor Weaver
Eng 201
14 March 2011
Hip Essay Number 2: An Annotated Bibliography.
Leland, John. Hip: The History. New York. HarperCollins Publishers. 2004. Print.
In John Leland’s text Hip: The History, Leland attempts to define the word Hip.  He draws back on cultural figures, icons, and events to help him define the ambiguous term.  I plan to use this source as my “definition” part of the essay.  This will be my main source in defining hip.  I can use this in my research project by using the definition that Leland presents, as a definition to examine thorough out the essay.
Dunbar, Paul. “An Ante-Bellum Sermon.” Paul Laurence Dunbar Web. 3 Feb. 2003. 14 March 2011
An Ante-Bellum Sermon is about a slave preacher, preaching to fellow slaves about freedom, and how it is coming in a way that the slave owners do not recognize what he is preaching.  This will be a useful source in my definition of hip. It follows my outline of hip and will be a excellent source.  It also has relevance to my other sources as well, so it works very well.  I plan to use this source by correlating it with my working definition of hip.
Amazing Grace. Ioan Gruffudd, Albert Finney, Romola Garai, Michael Gambon. Sunflower Production. 2006. Film.
Amazing Grace is about the story of William Wilberforce, and the abolishment of the slave trade in England.  This will be a useful source, and correlate with my other sources as well.  I plan to use this source by relating it to my definition of hip, from Leland’s book.  I assume that it will fit into my definition, and be a reliable source, and work well for my essay.

1 comment:

  1. In terms of the "Antebellum Sermon," you say:

    "It follows my outline of hip and will be a excellent source."

    I think it will be useful to specify to yourself how you intended to use it. (It seems like you've got a good idea in your essay.)

    I like the Amazing Grace source, but I'm not sure how it will relate to Hip or the other text. What are some commonalities between the two?

    ReplyDelete