Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Spit her out...Let the girl go"

While reading Antigone I came across a quote that I personally thought was interesting.  If I could memorize I would memorize it to quote.  It is found on line723
                                Oh Haemon never lose your sense of judgment over a woman.
                                The warmth, the rush of pleasure, it all goes cold in your arms,
                                I warn you…a worthless woman in your house, a misery in your
                                Bed.  What wound cuts deeper that a loved one turned against you?
                                Spit her out, like a mortal enemy—let the girl go.
As of right now I do not feel this way towards any woman, but I think Sophocles captures this difficult feeling on paper.  For this reason I am a fan of Sophocles now. 
I love the way this quote is shaped and formed.  I think the feeling that he is capturing in this quote can be a couple different ideas.  If we break it down line per line; the first line is all about not losing your rational over a woman.
 The second is about the physical aspects of loving a women can grow less significant.
The fourth is that a woman turned against you is one of the most significant heart breaking experiences.
 I love the last, Creon tells his son to let the girl go, simply get over her.
The overall theme of the quote for me, is that when you encounter a person of the opposite sex that you develop a relationship with, if the relationship is no good, “spit her out, let the girl go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment